The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Thursday 13 May 2021

Look Back


I've been quiet on here - obviously not on Twitter if you follow me there, that's where I write all my nonsense - because I've been working hard both with the day job and with the edits on the book! Round one finally submitted! 

So to celebrate, let's get some music on board. It's the only thing that's sustained me through the madness of this tale. I've been toying with this story for a while. It's a whodunnit because why not? Then the pandemic hit and we are all wearing masks, not touching, having video calls with our grandmas and how would a whodunnit at a wedding when the guestlist is down to thirty with no reception work? Cue Hot Muse Hank. While listening to a great podcast by John Sweeney, HMH told me that I could keep everything as is, but have the characters talk about what happened to them as though it happened years ago, rather than currently. 

"You're a fucking genius!" I said to Hot Muse Hank. He made a face and said, "Well try it and see if it's easy."

Spoiler alert - it was NOT easy. You really forget things that were happening last week, let alone twelve nearly thirteen years ago, and then thirteen years from that date. I changed names and forgot to change names all the way through. I changed genders and forgot that I'd done that and read through thinking, who the hell is she? when I meant he. Foolishness. Did Hot Muse Hank help? Did he fuck. He reminded me that while it'd been his idea to take things way back into time, it was also my idea to follow his idea. 

Also, let me do an early warning on the content of this book. While it'll have my trademark humour, it's pretty dark. There's a lot of murder, discussions on sexual abuse and assault and stalking. Once I have the book up, you can download a sample to see if it's for you but please be assured that if it's not, I promise you, I understand. 

Anyways, the podcast within a book within a whodunnit takes place in 2020, with the murder at a wedding taking place in 2008. With me? For authenticity, all the music tracked is either from last year or 2008 or earlier. If you had seen me having a whole concert to myself doing this, you would agree with Hot Muse Hank that I have lost my natural mind. All good though! 

Music a la podcast style:

For The Last Time Soundtrack

  1. 2WEI – Echoes
  2. Sam Sparro – Black & Gold
  3. Foals – Like Swimming
  4. Tom Mc Rae – A Day Like Today
  5. Interpol – The Heinrich Maneuver
  6. Rufus Wainwright – Not Ready To Love
  7. Placebo – Pure Morning
  8. Björk – Unravel
  9. Kate Nash – Nicest Thing
  10. Zero7 ft Mozez – I Have Seen
  11. Tom Ashbrook – Klass
  12. She Wants Revenge – Tear You Apart
  13. Radiohead – Talk Show Host
  14. Bloc Party – Biko
  15. Jimi Hendrix – Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
  16. Guillemots – Little Bear
  17. TĀLĀ – Cabin Fever  
  18. Portishead – Undenied
  19. MJ Cole – Sincere
  20. Aqualung – Good Times Gonna Come
  21. The Naked And Famous – The Sun
  22. Amy Winehouse – Tears Dry On Their Own
  23. Damian Marley – Welcome To Jamrock
  24. Kanye West ft Consequence, Cam’ron – Gone
  25. Stevie Wonder – I Don’t Know Why
  26. Madonna – Candy Perfume Girl
  27. David Bowie – All The Young Dudes
  28. Tricky – Ponderosa
  29. Portishead – Strangers
  30. Radiohead – Nude
  31. UNKLE – Price You Pay
  32. Madcon – Beggin’
  33. Lamb – Lullaby
  34. Coldplay – Spies
  35. Paramore – We Are Broken  
  36. Death in Vegas – Hands Around My Throat
  37. Damien Rice – Eskimo
  38. Tom McRae – Walking2Hawaii
  39. Bat For Lashes – What’s A Girl To Do
  40. Tricky – Hell Is Around The Corner
  41. Basement Jaxx – Everybody
  42. Mark Ronson ft Daniel Merriweather – Stop Me
  43. New Young Pony Club – Ice Cream
  44. Massive Attack – Teardrop
  45. Massive Attack – Unfinished Sympathy
  46. Radiohead – Paranoid Android  
  47. The Ting Tings – We Walk
  48. Low – Breaker
  49. Radiohead – Everything In Its Right Place
  50. 702 – You Don’t Know
  51. Cassie – Me & U
  52. Ledisi – You And Me
  53. José González – Killing For Love
  54. Sigor Rós – Svefn-g-englar
  55. U2 – If God Will Send His Angels
  56. Bobby Womack – California Dreamin’
  57. PJ Harvey – The Garden
  58. Faithless – Crazy English Summer
  59. Little Dragon – Twice
  60. Malcolm McLaren – About Her
  61. Bon Iver – Creature Fear
  62. Air – Photograph
  63. Bonobo ft Fink – If You Stayed Over  
  64. White Lies – Unfinished Business
  65. Coldplay – Prospekt’s March/Poppyfields
  66. Alexandre Desplat – Elegy
  67. Linkin Park – Hands Held High
  68. Bloc Party – Kreuzberg
  69. Vanbur – In Cold Light
  70. Active Child – Cruel World 


No comments:

Post a Comment