The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Tuesday 16 April 2019

Listen Before I Go

My love for Twitter has its limits which is why I'm constantly grateful for the block/mute/report options. But sometimes, it is a treasure trove of delights. User Cameron Rice asked about favourite film scores barring John Williams' Star Trek. I mean I love a bit of Cantina Band, but Sir Williams (I'm just going to knight him arbitrarily because he deserves it) has created some beautiful music. Take Memoirs of a Geisha intense and spiralling cello solos, transporting you to China pre and post World War II. It doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves.

You all know and understand my obsession with Hans Zimmer and how he's aurally held my hand through every single one of my books and since the opening strains of "Progeny" in Gladiator, every single one of my examinations. The majority of Murano is accompanied by The Dark Knight Rises, so that should tell you it goes off.

Here's always a better place to state my love for the film scores that I always go back to and the ones that will always place me in a peaceful zone to compose whatever it is I need to write. Here are my favourites as in not the select few, but the ones I will listen to from beginning to end, no skipping a single track.

Sir Hans Zimmer (also arbitrarily knighted because it's my blog and I can)

Man of Steel
Gladiator

Interstellar
King Arthur

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight 
The Dark Knight Rises
The Lion King

Sir John Williams

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkerban
Superman
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Howard Shore

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies 

Klaus Doldinger

The NeverEnding Story

Martin Phipps

The Virgin Queen
War & Peace
The Woman In Gold

Trevor Jones

The Last of the Mohicans

Craig Armstrong

The Great Gatsby
Romeo + Juliet
Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Michael Kamen


Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Trevor Morris


The Tudors - Season 4 

Tyler Bates


300

James Horner (the late, great and always beautiful use of a pan pipe) 


Legends of the Fall
Willow
Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan 

Michael Giacchino


Star Trek (2009)

Alexandre Desplat

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Shape of Water

Dario Marianelli

Kubo and the Two Strings
Pride and Prejudice 
Atonement

Yann Tierson


Amelie

Harry Griegson-Williams 

Kingdom of Heaven 

Dan Pemberton

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword 

It's a surprisingly short list, given to what I usually rely on but this does exclude the television scores, otherwise, it'd be hella longer. I'm deeply grateful to these creatives who help me in turn find that the limits of my imagination are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment