The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Monday 10 February 2020

Fake Love

I am on something at the moment, so let's roll!

How beautiful is this cover? Black Jazz Design coming through for me like the proverbial knight in shining armour!

To explain! If you follow me on social media (and if not, why not? I'm freaking hilarious!) you'll know that I love reality tv or scripted tv shows. My day job although now part time is tough work mentally and emotionally. Other people's lives are terrible to untangle legally and if I'm not reaching for a glass of Merlot, I'm watching Love Island or First Dates or The Undateables. It's the best way for me to switch off and to distance myself from my work. By the time the hour has finished and I'm raging over what so and so has said to whatshisface or I'm dabbing my tears because a person with Tourette's is proposing to his girlfriend aka crunchy tits or I'm laughing at the seventy year old woman who doesn't fancy her date and wants her loins to be on fire before she jumps into another relationship, I can't even remember what the hell triggered me the entirety of my journey home. 

One of my favourites is a little show where two strangers meet on their wedding day and go for the plunge - they actually get married. The romantic in me is desperate to see these people fall for each other, to get closer, to introduce each other to friends, to be thoughtful and caring and to make a decision where they stay together forever and ever and they tell their kids how mum and dad met each other on television. To be fair, the concept is a Westernised version of arranged marriages, without a camera crew following you about and people tweeting about your lives (also me typing in capitals for the husband usually to not be a dick!)

When NaNoWriMo rolled around November 2019, I knew what I was going to do. Twitter fingers Billy was going to use all that energy into getting a scripted tv show romance done. 

My main character, Victoria is amazing. I love all my ladies for real, but Vic has such flavour, no filter, a mum to two, an appreciation of all of her curves (and she got cuuuuuurves) a giant not just in heels but bare feet and the best baker in London town - ask the reality stars who've been Instagramming the crap out of her work. She's the perfect foil for Hal (I was having a Shakespeare moment, let me at it) my severe, half Korean, one legged, former army man who just wants to live a quiet life and run his nice restaurant in peace. Between their three respective kids, exes, parents, grandparents, best friends Vic and Hal are going to do what I've very kindly asked them to - fall for each other hard because a tv show put them together. 

I love it when a tv show works out - don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment